Why are implicit package dependencies recorded?

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Mon May 9 09:16:11 PDT 2005

On Monday, 9. May 2005 04:54, James E. Flemer wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >
> > Ah, I've been reading too fast again. Yes, all packages in a
> > dependency-chain will have to be built to match. It would be possible to
> > make the pkg_* tools smarter in order to avoid that, but at the moment
> > quite everything (from pkg_* to the package cluster scripts) relies on
> > prerecorded (or
> > pre-generated, i.e. INDEX) sub-deps.
>
> Actually, pkg_add does indeed do the right thing when only first-order
> dependencies are recorded in the package.

Only when you're adding packages locally. Here's what happens when you build
packages of gmake & dependencies with your bpm-patch and then try to pkg_add
-r them:

[lofi at kdeprison5]:1:/usr/ports > env
PACKAGESITE=http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/reduced-dep-packages/Latest/ sudo
pkg_add -r gmake
Fetching
http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/reduced-dep-packages/Latest/gmake.tbz...
Done.
Fetching
http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/reduced-dep-packages/All/gettext-0.14.1.tbz...
Done.
pkg_add: could not find package libiconv-1.9.2_1 !
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'gettext-0.14.1' failed!
[lofi at kdeprison5]:1:/usr/ports >

(you can make a crosscheck with packages built with the current bsd.port.mk by
using http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/standard-packages/Latest/ as
PACKAGESITE).

Now I'm not saying that this isn't a bug - I'm just maintaining that there's
more work involved in this than just patching bsd.port.mk.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org