Problem with portsdb

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Wed May 4 14:16:22 PDT 2005

This has been explained before, see i.e kris@ posts on this subj. on this list.

> Because the ports tree changes continuously, it's about a 50/50 shot
> (in my opinion, actual numbers may differ) that you'll get a version
> that can build a full index.  Everything has to be 100% perfect for
> an index to build, as far as I can tell.

Yes, but the chances are actually more 99.9%.

> You'd do much better to "cd /usr/port && make fetchindex" to download
> the latest successful index build from the Internet.

Not exactly: the index generated by the build cluster is for default ports
options while your installed ports can have different dependencies; this
affects portversion and friends.

Take a look at sysutils/p5-FreeBSd-portindex.

No see kris@ explanations.

> > Is this a serious problem that needs fixing?  If so, how do I go about
> > fixing it?  In baby steps, please :=)
>
> Yes, it' needs fixing, but it's generally something the ports folks have
> to take care of, and they have an automated system that warns them when
> index isn't building, so they already know.

But for him the index is building (as for anyone else right now); that's
only a harmless  warning.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"