FreeBSD Port: slimserver-6.0.2

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon May 2 11:58:13 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 04:51:48PM +0100, clive at delback.co.uk wrote:
> Dear Brooks,
>
> I understand that you are the maintainer of the FreeBSD port of Slimserver.
> I wonder if I could impose on your time for a little advice?

I'll try.

> I should point out that I'm new to FreeBSD, but decided to try it since it
> has a reputation of being very stable and able to run on quite modest
> hardware. (The machine I have available is a 400MHz AMD K6-2, currently with
> just 128MB of RAM, although I can increase that if necessary). I have got
> some way, but am now stuck, and to be frank I'm not even confident that I'm
> doing the right things. So I wondered if I could ask you whether the
> sequence of operations I've tried is actually correct. Here's what I've
> done:
>
> 1. Downloaded and installed the minimal install of FreeBSD 5.3 production
> release onto a completely empty hard disk - no other operating systems are
> lying around to confuse things. This appears to be working fine - it behaves
> very much like System V Unixes that I've worked on many years ago.
>
> 2. I read that Slimserver needs Perl 5.8.6, so I downloaded the package
> (perl-5.8.6_2.tbz) and installed that. It reported that it had installed
> correctly.

This is fine, though as you supect, the port would install it for you.

> 3. I next downloaded slimserver.tar.gz (for version 6.0.2). As far as I can
> tell, this should be expanded out into /usr/ports/audio/slimserver. After
> installing FreeBSD, there was already a /usr/ports/audio/slimserver, but it
> was for version 5.3.0. So I renamed that directory and created a new
> /usr/ports/audio/slimserver, into which I placed all the files from
> slimserver.tar.gz. I made sure the permissions on the directory were the
> same as they were on the previous one that I'd renamed.

This is your problem, see below.

> 4. Running "make install" for slimserver automatically downloaded and
> installed two other components: "mDNSResponderPosix" and "expat.5". I get
> the impression that had I not already installed Perl 5.8.6, then the
> slimserver install would have also downloaded and installed that.

That sound fine.

> So far so good. Can I just ask whether I've done the right things up to this
> point?
>
> After the slimserver installation had successfully installed these other
> components, it tried to proceed with its own installation, and at this point
> my problems began.....
>
> It attempted to run "pkg-install" from the subdirectory "work", but this
> file was not present. I saw that there was a file called "pkg-install.in" in
> the "files" subdirectory, so I copied over to the "work"directory and
> renamed it to drop the ".in" suffix. Was it correct to do this?

This isn't correct.  You need to update your whole ports collection
using cvsup as documented in the FreeBSD handbook or use the portsnap
tool (I haven't used it, but I believe it's more efficent than cvsup.)

> Re-running "make install", it got a bit further, then tried to run
> "work/slimserver.sh", which again was missing. Looking in the "files"
> directory, I saw "slimserver.sh.in", and also "softsqueeze.sh.in". Figuring
> that perhaps both of these ought to be in "work", I copied them both over
> and dropped the ".in" suffixes.
>
> This time "make install" complained that the file
> /usr/local/slimserver/Cache already existed. I surmised that
> /usr/local/slimserver had been created during the previous pkg-install run
> and had been left behind, presumably in a partially completed state, so I
> deleted that directory and tried again.
>
> Now, running "make install" starts doing something and appears to get
> further, but fails with these errors:
>
>   cp %%PREFIX%%/%%SLIMDIR%%/%%CONFFILES%%.sample: no such file or directory
>   chmod %%PREFIX%%/%%SLIMDIR%%/%%CONFFILES%%: no such file or directory
>
> I cannot find either of these commands in any of the script files inside the
> /usr/ports/audio/slimserver directory hierarchy. I would imagine that items
> such as %%PREFIX%%, %%SLIMDIR%%, etc. are some sort of variable that should
> be automatically replaced during script executing, but I have no idea what
> with.

The %%VAR%% bits are supposed to be automaticly replaced with approprate
paths by make, but becuse your /usr/ports/Mk directory was out of date,
that didn't happen.  Just update your whole ports collection and
everything should be fine.

-- Brooks