pkg-msgs collect to end of install

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Mon May 2 03:55:20 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 12:18 +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:47:18PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 08:29 +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've done a lot of updating and installing of ports lately. I have seen
> > > plenty of pkg-messages scroll up the screen unable to read them because
> > > the port which printed them where installed as a dependency.
> > >
> > > It might by a good idea to collect all the messages displayed by depenancy
> > > ports an display them at the end.
> >
> > I thought about this briefly a couple days ago.  I had an idea that it
> > might be useful if things like pkg-message could be optionally emailed
> > to a chosen user.  Especially handy for ports that require attention
> > post-installation, and describe this in their pkg-message.
>
> Mail would work for singe Workstations but for several servers this would
> end up in getting serveral mails with the same messages. And the risk of
> losing some important information would grow with the number of Mails.

Either way, collecting it and displaying at the end or mailing it, you'd
be getting the same amount of information displayed to you.  I think the
advantage with mail is that it's like a yellow sticky note.  Read it, do
whatever needs doing and then get rid of it.  Until then it's a
reminder.

If you get massive amounts of duplicate mail, you probably know what
you're doing and can turn it off anyway.

> Much simpler. Collect all pkg-msg in a tmp file an display this tempfile
> with ${PAGER} at the end of the make command.

If you don't like lots of mails, collect it all and then mail it, digest
style :)