pkg-msgs collect to end of install

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at augusta.de
Mon May 2 03:19:13 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:47:18PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 08:29 +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've done a lot of updating and installing of ports lately. I have seen
> > plenty of pkg-messages scroll up the screen unable to read them because
> > the port which printed them where installed as a dependency.
> >
> > It might by a good idea to collect all the messages displayed by depenancy
> > ports an display them at the end.
>
> I thought about this briefly a couple days ago.  I had an idea that it
> might be useful if things like pkg-message could be optionally emailed
> to a chosen user.  Especially handy for ports that require attention
> post-installation, and describe this in their pkg-message.

Mail would work for singe Workstations but for several servers this would
end up in getting serveral mails with the same messages. And the risk of
losing some important information would grow with the number of Mails.

Much simpler. Collect all pkg-msg in a tmp file an display this tempfile
with ${PAGER} at the end of the make command.

Bye
	Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | E-Mail: estartu at augusta.de         |   auf Anfrage/
Germany            |                                    |    on request