using procmail-3.22_4 pkg on FreeBSD 4.6.1

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Mar 22 19:08:43 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:03:41PM -0800, Kurt Bigler wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD virtual server with this version:
>
>     FreeBSD 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10 (VPSHOST) #3: Wed Aug  7 06:17:46 EDT 2002
>
> Yesterday I acquired procmail-3.22_4 via pkg_add from the FreeBSD site.  I
> don't know why I ended up with _4 rather than _5 but I had a lot of
> difficulty getting the package and I hope this is no issue.
>
> I'm not sure if there are requirements about coordinating versions of
> packages with versions of FreeBSD, I seem to recall that but can't find the
> info now.
>
> In any case, when I run formail (part of procmail) I get this error:
>
>     ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
>
> Just for laughs I created /libexec and in it symbolic link to ld-elf.so.1
> which on my system is located in /usr/libexec.
>
> Upon doing that I get instead:
>
>     /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.3" not found
>
> at which point I gave up.
>
> Should I expect the pkg to work correctly on my FreeBSD 4.6.1?

No, this is apparently a package for FreeBSD 5.x not 4.x, but FreeBSD
4.6.1 isn't supported by the current package collection anyway (see
www.freebsd.org/ports).  You may be able to use a package for
4.11-STABLE, but chances are good it won't work.  Stick with the
packages that were shipped with 4.6.1 (you might be able to find these
on a mirror, see http://mirrorlist.freebsd.org), update to a modern
version of FreeBSD, or build the software by hand.

Kris