problems fetching lang/gcc*: random?

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Mon Mar 21 05:23:46 PST 2005

+----[ Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at chello.cz> (20.Mar.2005 12:11):

| # fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar / 2005-03-20 00:05:04 -0300:

| > The raise in the CPU usage makes me think that the list
| > might be monstrous. However, I've run a 'make fetch'
| > overnight once and it never got to fetch anything, so it
| > seems like it never finished.
| >
| > Of course, the list in MASTER_SITE_GCC is not that big, so
| > it should be something else. But that something seems to be in
| > the gcc* ports.
| >
| > Any ideas anyone?
|
|     That looks like a problem in random. Can you post the exact
|     (expanded) command line that causes it to hang?

Mmm, doesn't seem like a problem in random to me. Seems like
a problem with bsd.port.mk (or perhaps bsd.sites.mk?).

I just inserted the following line after line 3093 in
bsd.port.mk (mine is revision 1.511 from 2005/03/17) in
order to get the exact command that is going to be evaluated
in the next line:

${ECHO_MSG} 'DEBUG: ${SORTED_MASTER_SITES_CMD_TMP} ${_RANDOMIZE_SITES}'; \

and this is what I get on 'make fetch' for lang/gcc32:
=> gcc-core-3.2.3.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
DEBUG:  " |/usr/games/random "-w -f -""

Now, seems like an empty list is being passed through that
pipe. However, neither of the following make random hang:

echo "" | random -w -f -
echo " " | random -w -f -

What I found weird is the quoting on the command. This is
hardcoded in bsd.port.mk (lines 1892-94) But my
knowledge of Makefile syntax is not deep ;) Nonetheless, the
quotes seem to work when fetching from other ports, so I
don't think this is causing the problem here.

Now we still have these questions:
i) why the master sites list in $SORTED_MASTER_SITES_CMD_TMP
   is empty?
ii) why does random hang? Is it because of the eval?

BTW, have you been able to reproduce this? Roman? Gerald?
Anyone else?

|     Also, uname -a?

+----]

FreeBSD pi.iib.unsam.edu.ar 4.11-RELEASE FreeBSD
4.11-RELEASE #0: Tue Mar  8 19:04:58 ART 2005
fernan at pi.iib.unsam.edu.ar:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PI  i386

Fernan