Blackbox-0.70 update problems (ports/78678)

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 22:54:03 PST 2005

Hi,

The commit of ports/78678 to update to blackbox-0.70 seems to cause
some problems.

uname -a: FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Tue Jan 25 13:27:59 EST 2005

Here is my present blackbox and associated ports versions:

blackbox-0.70.0     A small and fast window manager for X11R6
boxtools-0.65.0     Style tools for the blackbox family of window managers
bbconf-1.10         Configurator for the Blackbox window manager
bbkeys-0.8.6        A keygrabber for the Blackbox window manager
bbpager-0.3.1       A pager for the Blackbox window manager
bbrun-1.6_3         A Run box for Blackbox

bbpager won't start and errors with cannot connect to window manager.

bbkeys will start but the key bindings will not work.

Mplayer will only display the top half of a video at full screen for
_some_ video codecs.  These worked fine in the old blackbox and
still work fine using fluxbox.

These were all working fine before the update.  I've tried bbpager and
bbkeys in fluxbox and they work fine there.

I'm suspecting that the update to blackbox-0.70 requires that some
of the associated tools also need to be updated.  Although that
doesn't explain the behavior of mplayer.

I also found a reference to a blackbox update on the freebsd-ports
mailing list:

	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20050310065239.GF76038

in which Andrew Caines said that bbpager-0.3.1 will not work with
blackbox-0.70.  If this is indeed the case, perhaps the blackbox update
should be backed out until the companion ports are ready to be
committed.

I can supply any addtional information if needed or test patches.

Thanks,

Randy