cfengine vs. cfengine2

Sergei Kolobov sergei at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 11 09:56:35 PST 2005

(sysutils/cfengine and sysutils/cfengine2 port maintainers cc'd)

Hello,

I would like to get your feedback on idea of deprecating cfengine port
in favour of newer cfengine2 port.

After all, the former is at version 1.6.3, and the latest function change
was this:

----------------------------
revision 1.24
date: 2002/07/29 20:47:37;  author: gordon;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
Update cfengine MASTER_SITES

Note this was almost 3 years ago.

I think we could first add NO_LATEST_LINK to the cfengine port
so users can pkg_add -r cfengine to get the latest version
and then mark the port as DEPRECATED with some date - say 3 or 6 months
in the future.

Any thoughts, objections?
Is cfengine 1.x still in use somewhere?

Sergei