FreeBSD Port: doorman-0.8

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Thu Jun 23 14:25:58 GMT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Lupe Christoph [mailto:lupe at lupe-christoph.de]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:57 AM
To: fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Cc: ports at freebsd.org
Subject: RE: FreeBSD Port: doorman-0.8

Quoting fbsd_user <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com>:

> Doing it your way will work also and is more in line with the 5.x
> way of doing things.

> But there is still need for a way to stop and/or restart it to get
> the updated guestlist file reread.  Much like the (stop, start,
and
> restart) functions for apache.

What's wrong with "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/doormand.sh
(start|stop|restart)" ?

REPLY:  THATS FINE WITH ME

> And while you are at it the port description is so very poor at
> describing the port.
> How about something like this:

I did not change the description when I took over the port. The
description at http://doorman.sourceforge.net/ isn't too descriptive
either ;-)

I think your's is a little long. I'll see if I can come up with a
shorter
one for the next release.

REPLY: I AGREE WITH YOU THAT THE SOURCEFORGE DESCRIPTION SUCK ALSO.
THE CURRENT PORT DESCRIPTION MAY BE SHORT BUT IT REALLY DOES NOT
TELL THE READER WHAT THE PORT AS ALL ABOUT.
ANY THING YOU CAN DO WOULD BE GREATLY APPECIATED.

> One last thing. Doorman has a ms/windows knock program available
as
> a .zip file. Sure would be nice to have that zip file included
with
> the port alone with a example Windows's script combining the knock
> exec with say FTP or telnet.

This is a FreeBSD port. It does not even include the doorman code.
Why should it include something that is not even needed to run
doorman
on FreeBSD?

REPLY:  BACAUSE MANY FREEBSD USERS HAVE LARGE USER COMMUNITIES THAT
USE WINDOWS BOXS TO ACCESS THEIR FREEBSD SERVER THATS WHY.

I wrote the current handbooks firewall section and I think this
doorman port is so important that I am going to add reference to it
in the update I am writing to the firewall section. That is why I
have been testing it and corresponding with you about enhancements
to the install process.
Thanks for your fast replies in this matter.  You are doing a good
job.

Thanks for your support,
Luep Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |
http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is
like   |
| covering yourself with barbecue sauce and breaking into the
Charity    |
| Home for Badgers with Rabies.                            Michael
Lucas |