math/R 2.10 graphics device: Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts - Check that the Font Path is correct

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Mon Jun 13 16:08:22 GMT 2005

Hallo Jeffrey,

just a few days ago, Prof Brian Ripley solved the problem with alloca.h
under FreeBSD (see comments on PR#7881 and 7890 in the CRAN Bug tracking
system).

The patch is included in the R-patched version (see
ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-patched.tar.gz) and in R-2.1.1,
coming soon (June 20?).

With this patch you should be able to install and run R without a
FreeBSD port, like most older versions of R do.

Now to your question:
First I installed the patched version from June 10 and all fonts were
available in R, also in demo(graphics).

Then I completely removed the patched version and tried your
FreeBSD-port. Again, all fonts are available in my installation of R.

So I suppose the problem is with your installation of X11?

Rainer Hurling