New Category how?

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Thu Jun 2 04:50:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 09:59:09PM -0400, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Soeren Straarup wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >We are some ham operators that wishes for a hamradio category.
> >Is that possible?
> >
> >Should i make the category's files and send a pr and then send pr's
> >for all the ports that relates to it?
> >
> >Best regards S?ren Straarup
>
> This question has been asked many times before with regards to many
> categories. And the answer is always the same: demonstrate that such a

As it stands now, there are at least 20 hamradio ports
most of which are in comms. One of which is in astro, "sattrack".
("sattrack" is used by amateur radio operators in the same
way that "predict" and "gpredict" are used, for amateur radio satellite
operation. "predict" and "gpredict" are in comms.)

> category is necessary, and it can be created. However, take note at the
> number of ports in the smallest category, and recognize that many people
> see categories that small as a lapse in judgement.

I'd say that 20 is worth it considering the efforts now underway
by a number of BSD amateur radio operators.
I know with a dedicated category, we could attract more users to
FreeBSD. The port count for amateur radio has been steadily increasing in
comms in the last year, and we are going to be continuing to grow
the number of amateur radio ports.

ls -l /usr/ports/vietnamese/ |wc -l
      21

There are also several amateur radio ports in the works by two or three of us.
(including me)

- Diane Bruce, VA3DB