New port with maintainer ports@FreeBSD.org [was: Question about maintainers]

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Fri Jul 29 10:22:00 GMT 2005

    Marc, this mail is a bit lengthy, but please read it as a portmgr
    team member.

# linimon at lonesome.com / 2005-07-28 21:02:25 -0500:
> > You know, I'd really like to see a proof that most of the FreeBSD
> > users are what you call them: *users* (emphasis added to point out
> > the derogative).
>
> That's your derogative -- not mine.  Please don't misattribute quotes
> to me or put words in my mouth, thanks.  This thread is problematic
> enough without that.

    Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to put anything in your mouth; the
    derogative was mine.

> I think we ought to make a best effort to make sure that things work
> to the extent that, _in general_, people don't have to try to edit
> Makefiles to make a port install and run correctly.

    That's my thoughts exactly. I just don't think mandatory
    maintainership will help in this regard, or will bite us somewhere
    else.

> There is obviously not going to be any agreement here between the
> two camps of 'commit only things that we can guarantee will be useful'
> and 'commit anything that might be useful to someone, somewhere, at
> some point.'  Frankly if we go to the latter it will save me, personally,
> an awful lot of effort that I try to put forth, and I will instead go
> work on my own interesting hacks.
>
> If people feel strongly enough that this single requiremet is too
> burdensome, then maybe they should investigate setting up a ports-wip
> (Work In Progress) repository somewhere to hold 'might work, good luck'
> code.  NetBSD uses this model as pkgsrc-wip; you don't even need to be
> a NetBSD committer to add things to it.  (Disclaimer: I merely lurk
> on the NetBSD lists and am not intimately familiar with their processes.)

    This looks like I somehow caused you to think that I advocate
    committing halfbaked ports. That's not the case. I'll try to explain
    my point using a specific, realworld example.

    On 2005-03-22, George Gesslein II, author of a mathematical software
    called mathomatic and a FreeBSD nonuser asked on ports@ whether
    someone could create a port for it:

      http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-ports&m=111147502513960&w=2

    I sent a PR with the port the same day. MAINTAINER was set to
    ports at FreeBSD.org, because I have zero use for the software. I wrote
    the port because I thought it might be useful to someone else (the
    author probably thoughts so if he requested the port):

      http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/79118

    Then: