Installing .la files for textproc/redland...

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jul 21 02:20:44 GMT 2005

Danny Pansters wrote:
> Probably need to explicitely install them during do-install or post-install.
> That's likely the only way to be sure it gets to be where you want it to.

I should have mentioned that the source tarball will install .la files in
/usr/local/lib if I simply invoke "./configure && make install" directly.

This being said, I am not opposed to installing them "by hand" via
post-install, if that is the shortest route to solving the problem.

> Autotools are a nightmare. With *BSD one could even ask if they do more harm
> than good in many cases. It's _always_ messy. Even on *i*ux I sometimes think
> this is the case. I guess it helps folks to get generated Makefiles.

Oh, I agree.  Autotools mixes useful stuff like "being able to change where
stuff gets installed to" with a mind-boggling amount of silly tests that
encourage people to write code which depends on compile-time feature detection
rather than runtime detection, or which hardcodes datatype size rather than
using modern (POSIX? C99?) datatypes like int32_t.

It's not clear that having an opinion with regard to this matter is useful,
unfortunately.  Even if you write your own stuff to just use a Makefile,
someone else will automangle their stuff... :-)

> If I were you I'd use post-install and be done with it (if carefully handled
> and added to plist it will also always be removed as-should upon uninstall).
> I always think that if you can't control what's supposed to be used but you
> can easily control your own stupid focussed solution, go for the latter.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
-Chuck