Linux/i386 compat on Freebsd/amd64 / ONLY_FOR_ARCHS

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Sun Jul 3 00:54:11 GMT 2005

Hello,

This is a repost of a mail I sent to ports@ 3 weeks ago. I apologize if
that bothers anyone, but it didn't generate any replies, and the issue
remains unsolved.

I've successfully managed to get Linux/i386 compatibility working on
FreeBSD 5.3/amd64. Took some fiddling, but was actually less complicated
that I assumed. I've written a short HOWTO, it's available here:
http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?t=297

Now, one thing I noticed is that pretty much all linux ports are marked
with ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386, when in fact they work just fine on
FreeBSD/amd64 (with the linux/i386 compatibility environment, ie
linux_base-8 installed). This is somewhat annoying,as it requires
manually setting MACHINE_ARCH=i386 and sometimes ARCH=i386 with every
make.

Now... I assume that eventually FreeBSD will also get Linux/*64 support
sooner or later, and that there'll be linux ports that use only one of
the two linux compat environments.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that setting ONLY_FOR_ARCHS
for binary linux ports makes a lot of sense... could it not be assumed
that if the linux/i386 compatibility environment is installed on a
machine, linux/i386 apps will work even if this is not an i386 machine?
Same thing when FreeBSD gets linux/*64 support.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the internals of the ports
system to come up with an ingeniously simple but powerful solution (nor
am I ingenious enough ;) ), but maybe I can start a discussion that leads
to something good?

Benjamin