Perl CPAN and packages question

Adam Weinberger adamw at magnesium.net
Fri Jul 1 23:06:47 GMT 2005

Attos wrote:
> On 7/1/05, Will Andrews <will at csociety.org> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:47:00PM -0400, Attos wrote:
>>
>>>I installed some perl modules from CPAN using the MCPAN module and now
>>>whenever I run any utility that deals with the packages database I get
>>>the following two messages:
>>>
>>>pkg_info: package bsdpan-Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0203 has no origin recorded
>>>pkg_info: package bsdpan-TermReadKey-2.30 has no origin recorded
>>>
>>>How can I fix this? Should I bother fixing it?
>>
>>You can't fix it.  Upgrading ports only works for real packages,
>>not virtual ones like bsdpan-* which are generated by BSDPAN when
>>you install perl modules via MCPAN.
 >
 > Thanks a lot, seems I have to live with it.
 > Thanks...

You don't necessarily have to live with it. There are FreeBSD ports for
both those modules. You can install /usr/ports/devel/p5-ReadLine-Perl
and /usr/ports/devel/p5-Term-ReadKey, which are at 1.0203 and 2.30,
respectively, which is generally a better manoeuvre than installing
ports via bsdpan anyway (because you get FreeBSD-specific patches, etc.)

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at magnesium.net || adamw at FreeBSD.org