Why does everybody switch to dynamic plists?

Ulrich Spoerlein q at uni.de
Sat Jan 22 01:04:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 21.01.2005 at 20:52:02 +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> I count 1 positive and 5 negative aspects.

You are missing the obvious: Size.

First of all, I couldn't care less about size, because I'm on a speedy
connection and downloading 1MB diffs is a matter of seconds. Modem
users however will wait up to five minutes to get this diff.

Take the teTeX ports for example, the diff for the new version is 1.4MB.
Why? Because the name of the directory changed, which means you have to
completely exchange the whole plist.

Of course I like static plists too (because of grepping), but I am
concerned about the CVS churn those massive changes will cause. If
everyone is fine with massive pkg-plist diffs and the associated load on
CVS and CVSup servers then go ahead, as I said, for me, size is no
problem and storage is cheap.

But please keep users with Modems/ISDN in mind.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44