<sys/select.h> depends on <sys/types.h>...?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Jan 18 19:18:49 PST 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 06:59:53PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>> This was on a 4.11 system, but the BZFlag code compiles on Linux,
>>> Solaris, MacOS X, and Win32, so I'm not going to assume that BZFlag
>>> is doing something wrong, either.
>>

>> Coding error ("All The World is Linux").
>

> OK, although note that MacOS X compiles foo.cxx without changes--
> sys/select.h will pull in what it needs to work on that platform:

IIRC, FreeBSD 5.x doesn't need the extra <sys/types.h> include either. AFAIK,
it's not so a much wrong-or-right issue (SUSv2 or similar standards don't
require sys/select.h to setup the types it needs), but just a change of
conventions (not having to include sys/types.h to make sys/select.h work is
certainly convenient).

If you go back a few linux kernel/solaris/macosx releases, you'd probably find
the extra include requirement there, too.

    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org