portsdb -U causes reboot with custom kernel, but not GENERIC

Christopher & Rachel Kelley inbox at kelleycows.com
Mon Jan 17 15:39:16 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:32:08PM -0800, Christopher & Rachel Kelley wrote:
>

>>Using 4.11-RC2, or 4.11-STABLE portsdb -U works, ONLY if I use the
>>GENERIC kernel.  If I build the world & kernel and install (doing the
>>appropriate mergemaster steps in single user) with my kernel
>>configurarion, it reboots in the middle.
>>

>This usually means bad hardware.  portsdb -U exercises the disk very
>hard if it's building an INDEX yourself, so it can provoke failures
>from marginal hardware.
>
>Kris

I had thought maybe flaky hardware was an issue, but then I can't
understand why it would reliably work okay with a GENERIC kernel, and
reliably fail with a custom kernel.  Is there something in GENERIC that
I unknowingly removed that lessens the load on the system?

Is there a "good" way to test my system?  I've run memtest86 on it with
no problems, and since this is one of my hobby systems, I'm not adverse
to a test that would wipe my FreeBSD installation.  I was planning on
wiping and reinstalling for 4.11-RELEASE anyways.

Christopher