HEADS UP: pkg-plist strict enforcement starting

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Fri Jan 14 14:43:05 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 05:12:07PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> | On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:55:59PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> |
> |>This keeps getting suggested under various names, but you need to
> |>solve the compatibility problem.
> |

> | Isn't that resolved by modifying ports/sysutils/pkg_install and
> | noting it in ports/UPDATING?
>
> Resolved is probably not the correct word as this will trigger a flurry
> of emails from -RELEASE users.  A solution might be to modify
> bsd.port.mk to detect OSVERSIONs that don't have the fix, then add a
> dependency on sysutils/pkg_install.  The problem then comes to package
> users who may not have a /usr/ports at all.  If they don't know to use
> the pkg_install tools in LOCALBASE, they'll get package installation
> problems.  I'm not sure what the best solution for them is.

This OSVERSION solution looks the way to go.

For the packages, pkg_delete already gives an warning when it sees
an unknown @command:

    warnx("%s: unknown command '%s' (package tools out of date?)",

But it doesn't say what to do (this is version a.b.c, check
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/packages/blaat for newer versions)

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |          Weblog: http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/