HEADS UP: pkg-plist strict enforcement starting

Adi Pircalabu apircalabu at bitdefender.com
Fri Jan 14 06:36:44 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:27:56 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> The main case you need to worry about is when someone (e.g. package
> cluster) does 'make install deinstall'.

I see, but this does not worry me at this moment

> It's OK, but not ideal, for the package to leave behind some
> runtime-created files when the software has been used or configured by
> the user.  You should then add a pkg-deinstall message warning about
> where the leftover files live, if they exist, so the administrator can
> choose to delete them by hand.

Well, this is what I'd been waiting for :) I noticed that many (I mean
MANY) ports follow this line. Initially I thought this is the right way
to do it, as a good compromise between port's needs and system's
consistency after deinstall. But, after seen you initial post on this
thread, I started to worry about it.
If this is a correct way to handle the port, then I'll follow it :)
Thank you

--
Adrian Pircalabu

Public KeyID = 0xF902393A