PHP ports/packages framework is seriously flawed

Valéry valery at vslash.com
Fri Jan 14 06:22:39 PST 2005

Hi,
i'm not from FreeBSD, but if i can advise you :
php is *very scalable*, and before having all
options you want, you must build it 5 or 6 times.
I'm using 4.3.4, and it was compiled not from
the BSD ports, but from the php.net sources.
The 1st reason is that - i think - a port cannot show
you every configuration you want, specially with
php ; there's a lot of '3rd part software' with
php. The second one is that compiling php in
this way is not difficult, php is well done,
and well documented, and you'll get
exactly what you expect from php (eg GD, XML,
XSL, CLI or CGI, ...).
More, you can patch your php without waiting
a new port, and this is important for security.
In my point of view, i think that with a
solution like php, you must know everithing
about it, specially at the build time, this
is very important if you want to be accurate,
and know why you get an error using a
functionnality ; you'll win time.
Well, try to compile it yourself, and see
what you want.
i hope this help you,
br
v/