mysql41-server/mysql40-server not starting?

Brian Bailey animecowboy at animecowboy.com
Thu Jan 13 19:31:01 PST 2005

Quoting Brian Szymanski <ski at indymedia.org>:

> Hi.
>
> I'm having trouble installing mysql4?-server on my 5.3 box.
>
> I've tried both 4.0 and 4.1, same results.
Your error file should be /var/db/mysql/ozelmo.wuhjuhbuh.afraid.org.err
Probable cause is bad permissions on the database.
If you are still having problems, try running mysql(not mysql_safe) -T.

I've had problems similar to this, although mine was from trying to start
defective using defective databases.  If I remember right running mysql was how
I found the problem.