Makeing fetchindex really mirror INDEX

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Mon Jan 10 09:09:14 PST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:59:48 +0100
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

>  At the time I wrote the first implementation of "fetchindex" it was
>  supposed to be run at the time as "update". So the PORTSDIR has to be
>  writable (except I've overlooked something). If this hasn't changed,
>  there's no need for .CURDIR.

I would be extremely happy if we could have the INDEX-* file and all
associated things be able to use some other dir that PORTSDIR. This way
I could export /usr/ports over NFS and be able to build the INDEX
locally on each client. Is this already possible and I am missing it ?

Port tools already support this (e.g. portupgrade's PORTS_INDEX).

And a quick grep on ports/Mk/bsd.*.mk suggest that something like this
would be enough:

 + INDEXDIR?=	${PORTSDIR}

 - ${PORTSDIR}/${INDEXFILE}
 + ${INDEXDIR}/${INDEXFILE}

And some of ports/Tools/* would have to be modified also.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"