Thunderbird no longer viewing http URLs

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Wed Feb 23 10:55:33 GMT 2005

El Miércoles, 23 de Febrero de 2005 09:35, Jose M Rodriguez escribió:
> El Miércoles, 23 de Febrero de 2005 09:16, Doug Barton escribió:
> > Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > > You need repocopy
> > > files/patch-uriloader_exthandler_unix_nsGNOMERegistry.cpp from
> > > mozilla and rebuild. (You may need also this for firefox, it's a
> > > -core fix).
> > >
> > > After that, thunderbird must use gnome settings to open external
> > > uris.
> > >
> > > I don't remenber the thunderbird case but, at last for firefox,
> > > this makes 'registration as default browser' init dialog works
> >
> > I appreciate the response, but I don't use gnome, and don't want to
> > have to add gnome bits that I don't need. I'm already a little
> > cheesed off that I can't seem to opt out of gconf being
> > "necessary."
> >
> > Doug
>
> Rigth now, the mozilla project uses gnome as a reference.  Also here
> in FreeBSD.
>
> This doesn't add any special new depend to mozilla/firefox.  It
> allready builds over gtk20.
>
> Also, at last for firefox, The apps have built-in the resources
> needed to change the gnome-registry.  This is what is done in the
> 'registration as default browser'.
>
> The only aditional port you may need is sysutils/gconf-editor.  This
> may easy edit uri entries is you don't like the defaults.  You may
> launch gconf-editor from a xterm and edit desktop/gnome/url-handlers
> as you like.
>
> Also, you may use mozilla, which have a built-in mail app and
> external handlers disabled by default.

I make a little mistake.  I build firefox/thunderbird with gnome vfs
support enabled.  Maybe that, if you don't have gconf2 or libgnomevfs2
installed, external apps settings may work.

I send a PR about a mozilla uri helper script (now closed).

In any case, I'll ask gnome@ about:
- merge the uri patch to firefox/thunderbird
- take off the XFT knob
- make gnomevfs enabled in the default firefox/thunderbird build.

I honest think that this is the way to go, even for non-gnome users.

--
  josemi