GAIM Smileys

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Mon Feb 14 07:11:24 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:33:28 -0500
Paul Pathiakis <paul at atlantisservices.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	one of my customers has requested more smileys for GAIM.
> Apparently, there are several packages that provide additional
> smileys.  It seems that many of my customers concur.  *sigh*  Could
> someone do a quick port of something like:
>
> http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/gs/

hello paul,

1) you and your customers /may/ have some unrealistic expectations.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q69

"Is MSNP9 (MSN6) going to be supported?
MSNP9 support has existed in Gaim since 0.69. However, at this point,
features such as custom smileys aren't yet implemented."

in other words, any non-default smileys your users choose for their
client will not be received by the MSN users they are chatting with
(unless both happen to have the same icon sets selected).  more likely,
the 2nd user will see a (possibly quite unrelated) smiley from their
local set or a text sequence -- smiley code:  =)  :P :'|  (k) (B) etc...

[note: you may want to review the gaim documentation or contact the
project by e-mail or via irc to enquire about which chat protocols
support custom smileys.]

2) well over half of the emoticon set you suggest for porting (the top
section, smiling face through thundering cloud) is already included with
a stock install of gaim.

http://themes.freshmeat.net/screenshots/41305/44027/

i doubt that your users are going to be thrilled with the meager and
lackluster addition.

3) installing new smiley sets is trivial, a task that even your least
technically proficient users can probably handle with ease.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q19

How do I use smiley themes?
To select a theme, open Gaim's preferences to the "Smiley Themes" page
and click on whichever theme you want to use. To install a theme, simply
drag it into the theme selector. You can find themes on the Gaim Smiley
Themes page.  (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/themes.php)

You can also install themes manually by uncompressing them to their own
directory in ~/.gaim/smileys/

all in all, i have trouble imagining someone spending their time on
porting and maintaining smiley sets.  but, who knows, you may find
someone who will pick it up, just for the practice.

anyhoo.  hope this helps.

cheers,
epi