ports/76422: devel/automake ports fail to install when built as non-root

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 8 13:06:28 PST 2005

 > The pre-install and post-install targets are not run with elevated
 > privileges, so the mkdir commands in the pre-install target fail
 > when trying to install as non-root (in other words, su seems to
 > only be applied for do-install)

A quick scan of the ports tree seems to indicate that a significant
percentage of *all* ports appear to have this issue.

I can certainly go ahead and make the change to automake*, and even
autoconf* and libtool* at the same time, but these are only 8 ports out
of many thousands that currently require elevated privileges in
pre-install and post-install targets.

It may make considerably more sense to do a complete sweep of the tree
rather than piecemeal.

ports@ cc'd for a wider audience.

-aDe