Proposal: overridable bsd.sites.mk

Adam Weinberger adamw at magnesium.net
Mon Feb 7 16:40:03 PST 2005

Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 06:31:09PM -0500, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
>>Edwin Groothuis wrote:

>>>Oh, that way. This patch does:
>>>
>>>+.if !defined(IGNORE_MASTER_SITE_XORG)
>>>MASTER_SITE_XORG+= \
>>>       ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/%SUBDIR%/ \
>>>	ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/x11/x.org/pub/%SUBDIR%/ \
>>>[...]
>>>+.endif
>>>
>>>Only 2x57 lines to be added, and it will not harm anybody else!
>>>
>>>(I would use this too to get rid of heanet.courseforge.net)
>>>
>>>Edwin
>>
>>How is that better than just letting people set any MASTER_SITE_* they
>>want explicitly?
>

> Because I don't want to add all fourty other distsites if I just
> have preferences over one to be tried first.
>
> With the proposed change:
>
>     You:
> 	IGNORE_MASTER_SITE_XORG=yes
> 	MASTER_SITE_XORG=http://z.x.y/
>
>     Me:
> 	MASTER_SITE_XORG=http://z.x.y/
>
> Easy!
>
> Edwin

I'd suspect that more people would want to narrow down distsites to a
specific couple of sites, not add more onto the list.

People Out There: if you could control the list of which sites distfiles
for, say, xorg stuff, are fetched from, would you rather add to the list
that's already there, or isolate particular sites you prefer?

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at magnesium.net || adamw at FreeBSD.org