Proposed patch to inform users of fetchindex

Ulrich Spoerlein q at uni.de
Tue Feb 1 05:38:44 PST 2005

On Mon, 31.01.2005 at 15:56:26 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> >IMHO saying this is equivalent to saying that one should use GENERIC
> >kernel.
>
> Um, no, the two things are not even close to equivalent. Anyone who
> wants/needs to dig deeply enough into the ports infrastructure that they
> must build a cusomized index file is welcome to all the pain that comes
> with that endeavor. Once again, for the average user (and I count myself
> in that camp for this purpose), 'make fetchindex' is what they really
> need, and we should make it easier for them to find it.

Well, I like building my own INDEX, it often breaks because
people overlook small errors hiding away in hidden WITH_FOO defines.

e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=76951

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44