HEADS UP: MFC of local_startup changes to rc.d complete

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Thu Dec 29 07:40:54 PST 2005

El Lunes, 26 de Diciembre de 2005 09:53, Doug Barton escribió:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > But this doesn't solve the real problem.  We've lost a reference
> > model about rc and the interaction with the base system and ports.
>
> I'm not sure what that last sentence means.

Form our old rc system, to the initial import from NetBSD, to what we
have now in HEAD.

A lot of things has been changed, an now, it's really hard to get an
idea about the boot process and the order used to launch the
components.

> > - some kinda of style for ports/system rc scripts
> > - some docs about keywords and stage support
>
> As I said in one of my recent heads up messages, man rc(8).

As far I know, rc(8) depends on the FreeBSD version used. I doubt
RELENG_4_11 rc(8) may be enough.  This kind of information must be on
the porter's handbook.

> > - some kinda of timeline model
>
> Timeline for what?

To guess the keywords to use for the rc script.

--
  josemi