portsearch: how to display search results

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Dec 22 10:06:28 PST 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 08:49 am, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 08:40, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am working on a tool that will allow easy (portsearch -f
> > something) and fast (less than a few seconds) to search for ports
> > that install some file.

There already is a tool called portsearch in

/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/README.portsearch
/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/portsearch

You should probably use a different name. I use portsearch instead of
"make search" because it does a better job of formating the output. It
also lets you do things like
portsearch -n ^apr
which requires that the port begin with the letters "apr".

I add it to my .cshrc as
alias search    'portsearch -n $1'

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

"Nunca te acostarás sin saber una cosa más"