portsearch: how to display search results

Vasil Dimov vd at datamax.bg
Thu Dec 22 08:40:30 PST 2005

Hi all,

I am working on a tool that will allow easy (portsearch -f something)
and fast (less than a few seconds) to search for ports that install
some file.

I see two options for displaying the results:

1) the simple way
Show each file that matches a given pattern with some information for
the port that would install it. This means that one port may be shown
more than once, which I find really irritating.

Here is an example output when searching for files that match the
regular expression bin/f.*

Port: portabc
File: bin/f1

Port: portabc
File: bin/f2

Port: portxyz
File: bin/f3

2) group files by port
Show ports that have at least one file matching a given pattern with all
the matching files they install

Output from the same search criteria:

Port: portabc
File(s): bin/f1, bin/f2

Port: portxyz
File(s): bin/f3

My research shows that Debian's ``apt-file search'' and Fedora's
``yum provides'' use "the simple way" and display one package more
than once. But 2) seems to me to be the prettier output.

What do you think?

--
Vasil Dimov