Time to strictly define pathes for webapps ports?

Clement Laforet clement at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 17 13:24:32 PST 2005

Hi,

As many of you have noticed, I changed default DocumentRoot in
apache22, and some users considered I violate POLA (PR ports/90418
[1], arved's weblog [2]), and I perfectly understand.
Currently web apps, or web frontends are installed where maintainer
wishes:
- ${PREFIX}/www/(data|cgi-bin|etc.)
- ${PREFIX}/www/${PORTNAME}
- ${PREFIX}/share/${PORTNAME} (aka ${DATADIR})
etc...

It's pretty messy. IMHO, it's time to fix this hole in our hier.
The most problematic webapps are CGI, because, we usually install them
${PREFIX}/www/cgi-bin, PHP ones are more flexible.
I've no real opinion on the best way to do. I personnaly have
${PREFIX}/www/local for my stuff and put some Alias and VirtualHost in
etc/apache2?/Includes directory. So I'm not a good judge of it.

I'm ready to add USE_APACHE=webapps magic to export good path for
Makefiles and PLIST_SUB. I'm also ready make all apache server ports
apache team or I maintain compliant to new policy.

Now I'm all ears :-)

clem

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?q=90418
[2] http://arved.priv.at/weblog/archives/2005/12/apache_22.html