gotmail problem - "Wrong configuration line"

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 15:51:40 PST 2005

I am running gotmail 0.8.7.1 on FreeBSD 6.0, installed through the ports
system. I am getting this error every time now, though it worked fine
before
the most recent update:

% gotmail
Wrong configuration line : '
'
<snip help>

This happens no matter what verbosity level I choose. No line is given,
just empty single quotes. Running with --debug produces no log in /tmp
or anywhere else. Here's my .gotmailrc with my password munged:

% cat .gotmailrc
# This is a sample gotmail configuration file. Rename it to .gotmailrc
# and place it in your home directory to use it.

# See the manpage for more options!

username=krinklyfig
password=[munged]
domain=hotmail.com

folder-dir=/var/mail/gotmail/
folders=Inbox, Junk E-Mail
move=Trash Can
retry-limit=3

Is there any reason this shouldn't work? Incidentally, I tried stripping
it down to nothing but username and password, and it still didn't work.
There is nothing in the ChangeLog or /usr/ports/UPDATING about this
that I can see.

- jt