net/tramp

Rommel Martinez ebzzry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 03:52:53 PST 2005

On 12/7/05, Dominic Mitchell <dom at happygiraffe.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 04:34:17PM +0800, Rommel Martinez wrote:
> > I just would like to inform you, as advised at FreeNode #FreeBSD that
> > the port net/tramp doesn't work well as expected.
> >
> > If I open a file under Emacs, say /root at localhost:/some/file, This
> > gets displayed in the echo area for a 60 secs, temporarily causing
> > Emacs to hang:
> >
> >     Waiting for 60s for local shell to come up...
> >
> > After around 60 seconds, a new window (Emacs window) pops up, with the
> > shell prompt in it, and Emacs displays this text in the echo area:
> >
> >     Couldn't find local shell prompt /bin/sh
>
> Interesting.  It appears to work fine here on emacs-21.  What are the
> contents of the buffers *tramp/su root at localhost* and *Messages*?
>
> -Dom

*tramp/su root at localhost* contains:

$

*Messages* contains:

tramp: Opening connection for root at localhost using su...
tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
tramp: [[Regexp `\(^[^#$%>
]*[#$%>] *\(\[[0-9;]*[a-zA-Z] *\)*\)\'' not found in 60 secs]]
tramp: Couldn't find local shell prompt /bin/sh
byte-code: Couldn't find local shell prompt /bin/sh