Updating Apache 2.0.55 to 2.2.0

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Mon Dec 5 10:11:15 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:21:46AM -0600, Matt Sealey wrote:

> I want to move our server to Apache 2.2.0 that was just released and is now
> in the ports tree. I am concerned that
>
> 1) I have to uninstall Apache 2.0.55 to let the new one install properly
> 2) it might not build okay and our webserver will be dead while I fix it
>
> What exactly is the recommended way to move from apache20 to apache22 in the
> ports tree, with minimal fuss or downtime? Could I just install with
> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1 and so on, and then remove apache20 from the ports
> database as a hack? Is that safe?
Using FORCE_PKG_REGISTER will case a massive deletion of your binaries
when you try to remove apache2 ;-).

Currently there's no howto. You can safely build apache22 when
apache20 is installed, to minimize downtime.
If you have install devel/apr. you need to defined
WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS. Be careful if you also install latest OpenSSL
from ports.

BTW, if you use third party modules from ports, please check they are
compliant to new USE_APACHE framework to not mess your pkg database.
Makefile must contain USE_APACHE=(13|20)+ or support apache22.

As said previously, make a package of your current apache
installation.

good luck,
clem