firefox doesn't work on amd64

Alexander Konovalenko kono at kth.se
Mon Aug 8 12:25:26 GMT 2005

> Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 14:28:28 -0400
> From: A Dude <adudek16 at gmail.com>
> Subject: firefox doesn't work on amd64
> To: gnome at freebsd.org
> Cc: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
>
> I can second this. Firefox 1.06 doesn't run on AMD64.
>
> adudek at cooljack: ~/ >uname -a
> FreeBSD cooljack.msdp.net 5.4-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6 #3:
> Sat Jul 30 20:45:01 EDT 2005
> root at cooljack.msdp.net:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/Cooljack  amd64
>
> adudek at cooljack: /usr/ports/www/firefox/ >ls -la Makefile
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  9944 Jul 30 11:59 Makefile
> adudek at cooljack: /usr/ports/www/firefox/ >
>
> Type firefox and it doesn't run but cores. I can provide if needed..
> Even weirder is that if I start firefox and provide a argument/url
> then it starts. If I provide no argument/url then it doesn't even
> load. I have even deleted exisiting ~/.mozilla.
> After further testing, it appears that you must run firefox as root
> first before it will run as anyother user. Why is this?
> Errors/messages seen on startup when providing a startup url
> adudek at cooljack: ~/.mozilla/firefox/bsw2tchf.default/ >firefox d
>
> (firefox-bin:3268): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value has
> wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG?)
>
> (firefox-bin:3268): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value has
> wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG?)
> *** ExtensionManager:_updateManifests: no access privileges to application
> direc tory, skipping.
>
> (firefox-bin:3268): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value has
> wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG?)
> *** ExtensionManager:_updateManifests: no access privileges to application
> direc tory, skipping.

recently I have upgraded my firefox to 1.0.6, works fine on my AMD64 Athlon
with FreeBSD 5.4 stable .....

PS: do you compile your ports with optimization flags? check /etc/make.conf
for CFLAGS variable and try to compile firefox port without -Ox and
-ffast-math flags, sometimes combination of those flags does not produce
"executable" code for me

/Alexander Konovalenko

+46-8-5537-8142 (office)
+46-7-3752-2116
http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono

Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
Nanostructure Physics Department, Albanova
Roslagstullsbacken 21
10691 Stockholm
Sweden