The right way to depend on a package's extra feature

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri Aug 5 07:53:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:44:52AM +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:24:12AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I.e. I have both devel/svk and devel/subversion installed. Now, I need
> > devel/subversion because other software depends on it, so I build it
> > with perl bindings by myself. However, devel/svk insists on depending
> > on devel/subversion-perl because it wants the perl bindings -> not
> > good...
>
> Hmmz, devel/svk should find ${SITE_PERL}/${PERL_ARCH}/SVN/Core.pm
> (installed by devel/subversion with perl bindings) and not insist on
> depending on devel/subversion-perl...

Yes, disregard this argument. Braino on my part...

> > I don't see a way out except extending the DEPENDS mechanism with
> > optional flags, or at least checking of /var/db/ports/*/options
> > (for OPTIONS enabled ports).
> >

> extending the DEPENDS mechanism is what I thought also...
>
> looking for /var/db/ports/*/options is not universal, because a lot of
> ports have WITH_SOMETHING without defining OPTIONS.

Although these should be fixed to use OPTIONS imho. Also,
theoretically a package could include /var/db/ports/<PACKAGE>/options
so that even packages built with options could be recognized by the
system.

Anyway, I don't have the time to implement either of these options, so
I don't have much to say in this matter.

--Stijn

--
MY HATE OF D02 KNOW NO LIMIT
	-- A Silent Wail, http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31914