portsdb -Uu error.

Karlos Abel kgreat4 at connecttime.net
Wed Aug 3 03:17:28 GMT 2005

Hello, I'm a relative new user of FreeBSD 5.4.  I'm having the following
problem with a portsdb update.

Fresh install, using the stock 'ports-supfile' with just the server
information modified.  I did an install from the FreeBSD ftp site with no
problems.

Running on a Pentium I 100MHz,

env got me this:

TERM=xterm
SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
USER=root
PAGER=more
FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
MAIL=/var/mail/root
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
BLOCKSIZE=K
PWD=/root
SHLVL=1
HOME=/root
_=/usr/bin/env

make.conf is:
# added by use.perl 2005-08-02 14:34:56
PERL_VER=5.8.6
PERL_VERSION=5.8.6

Here's the entire log of any/all error messages I get:

~~~~~~~~~START~CUT~~~~~~~~
portsdb -Uu
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..*** Error
code
1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports at FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error

Any ideas?  I'm at a complete loss without more verbose error messages.

I've tried portsdb -F, -fu, all of it.  I'm baffled.

--

Karl Abel
k.abel at voidship.net
DrBA Productions
http://voidship.net

"I think I'm better than all the people who are trying to reform me." -- Paul
Butterfield