Using MANCOMPRESSED=

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:12:07 PDT 2005

Port GSL-1.6
5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Mon Jan 31
gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728

Hi:

  If I declare MANCOMPRESSED=  yes  or MANCOMPRESSED=  maybe, in my
Makefile, then when I do make package I get this:

===>  Building package for gsl-1.6
Creating package /usr/ports/packages/All/gsl-1.6.tbz
Registering depends:.
Creating bzip'd tar ball in '/usr/ports/packages/All/gsl-1.6.tbz'
tar: man/man1/gsl-config.1.gz: Could not stat: No such file or directory
tar: man/man1/gsl-randist.1.gz: Could not stat: No such file or directory
tar: man/man1/gsl-histogram.1.gz: Could not stat: No such file or directory
tar: man/man3/gsl.3.gz: Could not stat: No such file or directory
pkg_create: make_dist: tar command failed with code 256
*** Error code 1

However if I delete the  MANCOMPRESSED=   foo  from the Makefile:

MAN1=           gsl-config.1 gsl-randist.1 gsl-histogram.1
MAN3=           gsl.3
MANCOMPRESSED=  maybe
INFO=           gsl-ref

and then do make package everything is fine but I see:

/usr/local/man/man1/gsl-histogram.1.gz

It's gunzipped even though I did not specify it. I read the relevant
part of the Porters Handbook:

   To specify whether the manpages are compressed upon installation, use the
   MANCOMPRESSED variable. This variable can take three values, yes, no and
   maybe. yes means manpages are already installed compressed, no means they
   are not, and maybe means the software already respects the value of
   NOMANCOMPRESS so bsd.port.mk does not have to do anything special.

   MANCOMPRESSED is automatically set to yes if USE_IMAKE is set and
   NO_INSTALL_MANPAGES is not set, and to no otherwise. You do not have to
   explicitly define it unless the default is not suitable for your port.

Why does MANCOMPRESSED=  maybe cause a problem ? What am I doing wrong here?

                                                     Kind regards,
                                                     Jon