failed to generate index

Anthony Philipp philipp1 at lupin.angrypanda.net
Wed Sep 29 00:19:57 PDT 2004

Hello, I got this crash when doing portsdb -Uu after a cvsup. It is very reproducible. All the information I could think of is attached below. Thanks for the help.
Anthony Philipp

(01:58:30) root at lupin /usr/ports 8# portsdb -Uu
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..apsfilter-7.2.5_5: "/usr/ports/-nox11" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
===> print/apsfilter failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports at FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error
(02:14:29) root at lupin /usr/ports 9# uname -a
FreeBSD lupin.angrypanda.net 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Sep 28 23:52:30 CDT 2004     philipp1 at lupin.angrypanda.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
(02:14:42) root at lupin /usr/ports 10# cat /etc/make.conf
# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Tue Jul 13 22:00:47 2004
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

(02:19:09) root at lupin /usr/ports 11#

Well if anything else is needed, I would be more than happy to send it off. Hope this helps.
Anthony