Fw: Re: Drop of portindex

Pat Lashley patl+freebsd at volant.org
Fri Sep 17 03:18:34 PDT 2004

--On Thursday, September 16, 2004 10:27:36 -0500 "Jack L. Stone" <jacks at sage-american.com> wrote:

> This is probably a bit of useless info in this case, but my understanding
> is that there is no such thing as an "International Copyright" protection.

I think the closest thing to an "International Copyright" is a
national copyright in a country which is a signatory to the Berne
Convention.  I believe it specifies that absent any explicit notice,
any work is copyrighted by its creator.  (As opposed to the old
national conventions that required explicit notice, whithout which
the work was in the public domain.)

Also, I think the Berne Convention may contain a clause binding
the signatories to recognize copyrights registered in each others'
jurisdictions.

In any case, you're much better off putting explicit notice in
each file.  (That still won't grant a copyright in non-signatory
countries that require explicit registration.  If any such still
exist.)

-Pat