Fw: Re: Drop of portindex

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Thu Sep 16 02:55:37 PDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:45:26 +0000
"Ísak Ben." <isak at isak.is> wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 09:18:47AM +0000, Ísak Ben. wrote:
> > Someone with the skills and the time could write another "portindex"
> > to do exactly the same thing but all new code and a GPL style
> > license.....and voila, problem solved.  Could this be the solution
> > or am i just spewing out nonsense ?
>
> Yes, that'd entirely be possible. The only restriction would
> probably that you must not use parts of the original "portindex"
> source.

I had some spare time yesterday and started writing an INDEX generator.
The code for everything sans the b_depends and r_depends is finished by
now. Those two are a bit tricky because you have to take into account
some special variables like the USE_GNOME stuff. To avoid having to suck
and parse those files each time I'm thinking about a pre-parsed bsd.*.mk
cache, which shouldn't be hard to implement.

I'm writing the code in C and the license will be, of course, BSD.
Hopefully I'll have a preview demo by the end of the week.

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org