ports/73235: New port devel/p5-Test-NoWarnings

Cheng-Lung Sung clsung at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 28 19:09:39 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 06:27:54PM +0400, Kapranoff Alex wrote:
> * Cheng-Lung Sung <clsung at FreeBSD.org> [October 28 2004, 17:46]:
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I'm testing your pr, there are two questions I don't understand.
> >
> >     1. in build/install/deinstall section, I can't see any difference
> >        when set "INSTALL_TARGET=      pure_install". Can you explain
> >        this to me? thanks.
>
> `pure_install' disables writing anything into /usr/local/lib/perllocal.pod,
> and I strongly advocate for this feature. We never clean up perllocal,
> so we'd better not clutter it. Newer Module::Build-based module
> distributions do not bother with perllocal, it is obviously obsolete.
>
> You can notice the difference watching the installation output, btw.
> Normal `install' informs that it has written something to perllocal.

    This is a good lesson to me, I didn't notice about that before.....
    I found this will happen when perl ver < 5.8 (I didn't try in 5.005).
    However, I think it will do no harm even keep this simple.

> >     2. in test phase (make test), I've noticed that Devel::StackTrace
> >        is eval(ed). Also in Warnings.pm. How about add this into
> >        BUILD_DEPENDS?
> Devel::StackTrace is optional really. The presence of this module at
> run-time enables additional diagnostics from Test::NoWarnings but I
> don't think the benefit justifies for a dependency. The user will
> install it if she wants more diag, this is documented.

    You're right.

> >     Thank you for your works.
> >     By the way, ports/73237 (p5-Test-Deep) has the same issue (#1).
>
> Thanks for quick response and all your, commiters crew, hard work :)

    Thank you.

clsung