please test: Secure ports tree updating

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 10:04:35 PDT 2004

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Colin Percival <colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>>CVSup is slow, insecure, and a memory hog.
>
> if cvsup is slow, you're not using it right.

Let me rephrase.  CVSup is slower than necessary when fetching only a
small number of updates, especially if you have a slow uplink.

> I'm sure portsnap is a wonderful piece of software, but there's no
> need to spread FUD about cvsup to promote it.

CVSup is a great piece of software.  However, it's a piece of software
which was designed in a rather different setting than the current
problem of keeping an up-to-date ports tree.  Where CVSup does a very
wide range of things adequately, portsnap is designed to do one specific
task very well.

Colin Percival