ports/www is too full

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Tue Oct 26 13:01:22 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:53:22PM +0200, Matt Douhan wrote:
> On Tue October 26 2004 21.47, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:40:09PM -0600, Jie Gao wrote:
> > > I agree this. If we have a powerful search utility instead of the
> > > simple "make search", it doesn't matter how large the directories are.
> >
> > Searching and browsing are not the same task.
> >
> > /me has an image of window-shopping the ports tree ...
>
> KDE has a tool called Barry, not sure if it made it into the distribution but
> it should be available somewhere.

(http://www.student.uni-oldenburg.de/frerich.raabe/barry/, for those who
 don't want to spend 2 minutes grovelling in Google like I just did)

Nice tool. But how does that help with quick window-shopping?
Finer-grained directories help. Using a GUI tool to navigate
coarse-grained directories instead of `cd` and tab-completion doesn't
(especially since I only run X on a single, non-FreeBSD, machine).

-T

--
"Beauty is not diminished by being shared."
    -- Robert Heinlein