RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Oct 25 10:35:37 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:45:21AM +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:

> > You have a choice between
> >
> > (1) a system with fewer packages/ports, but each one related to
> > several supported OS versions,
> >
> > or
> >
> > (2) a system with more packages/ports, but they're not tied to any OS version.
> >
> > If you want something like (1) on FreeBSD, you can always capture the
> > ports tree as it was when your OS version was released (it's even
> > tagged for you) and update only those parts you care about.  You get
> > to follow any advisories yourself (try portaudit).  But if it breaks,
> > you get to fix all the pieces yourself.
>
> Maybe, if there is _enough_ interest, somebody (starting with me??)
> could start a separate (from FreeBSD) project, that aims to maintain a
> stable FreeBSD ports tree. It could start out with a subset of ports,
> architectures and OS versions for the beginning, and scale when
> resources are available. It could occasionally grab a tagged ports tree
> and develop a stable version out of it.
>
> What do you think?

	<CAUTIONARY_NOTE>
		I've got tarballs of portupgrades for 2 ports,
		one now broken.  So this may get me flamed.
		... .
	</CAUTIONARY_NOTE>

	I think your idea has lots of merit, Roman--to stick my
	two cents' worth in.  Porting isn't that hard once you've
	found and fixed <<whatever>> problems.  Most bugs aren't that
	hard to fix; some are bloody murder.  After that, to create
	a port for FBSD is a lot of grungy detail work.  For
	example, creating the patch files, then  the new
	distfiles and the ancillary files that make certain
	that everything Just-Works{tm}.

	Once you've done a few ports--either your own hacking
	or someone else's--creating a port gets pretty easy.
	Takes a few hours/port/architecture.  Before aiming for
	a separate project, it may pay to work within the ports
	group for awhile.

	gary

	PS:  I'm personally grateful for the best OS--anywhere.
	     But that gratitude and $6 may buy a double latté.

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix