RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Christopher Vance christopher at nu.org
Mon Oct 25 01:37:15 PDT 2004

>> > I have a question regarding the branches/tags of the ports tree for
>> > stable releases. Are they in any way maintained. For instance I would
>> > like to see security fixes and corrections like changed download URLs be
>> > committed there.

You have a choice between

(1) a system with fewer packages/ports, but each one related to
several supported OS versions,

or

(2) a system with more packages/ports, but they're not tied to any OS version.

If you want something like (1) on FreeBSD, you can always capture the
ports tree as it was when your OS version was released (it's even
tagged for you) and update only those parts you care about.  You get
to follow any advisories yourself (try portaudit).  But if it breaks,
you get to fix all the pieces yourself.

"Fast, cheap, good - pick (at most) two."

--
Christopher Vance