Perl installation problem

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Sun Oct 24 22:38:39 PDT 2004

[I already sent this message to Perl-5-Porters, but I am copying it here, in
case someone recognizes the problem or knows of a workaround.  I'm about
ready to try fudging the Ports makefile to ask for version 5.8.5, but I'm
rather loathe to do that, lest it introduce invisible errors... -r]

We built and installed Perl 5.8.5 under FreeBSD 4.7 on a generic Pentium
platform, using Perl sources from cpan.org (not the FreeBSD ports collection,
which is back at 5.8.2).  The README.freebsd did not tell us to do anything
special and did not indicate any known difficulties.

We ran

     % sh Configure -de
     % make
     % make test
     % make install

"make test" showed no errors that we saw.  Also, a simple "Hello World"
script runs just fine.  However, we're getting failures with complex Perl
scripts that use modules with shared libraries, as:

When trying to run cpan shell, we get:

     % cpan
     /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:

/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-freebsd/auto/Term/ReadKey/ReadKey.so:
     Undefined symbol "perl_get_sv"

Trying to use Movable Type weblog w/ MySQL database, we get:

     /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-freebsd/auto/DBI/DBI.so:
     Undefined symbol "perl_get_sv"

Same symbol; different library.  Does this look familiar to anyone?  The
question is rather urgent, as the installation wiped out out ability to
run Perl for many serious purposes...

-r
--
email: rdm at cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841