java 1.4 download

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Oct 24 16:34:58 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 06:57:48PM -0400, wei yuan wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I talked to you one time and you told me that I can download from
>    /usr/port/ java.1.4.  I still could not do that.  I used pkg_add to do
>    that and an error message told me to download from sun's site. But I
>    could only use lynx to do that and when I got to the download page,
>    download link was not activated.  I could not nothing about that.  I
>    download the java 1.4 for linux package to my desktop and then ftp the
>    package to the server. Guess what? The server needs kernel linux
>    compatibiity.  It did not sound that you went through all my
>    difficulties.  If there is a better/easier way to get java 1.4, please
>    let me know.  Thank you so much.

There's no easier way, you have to follow the directions and download
it from the sun.com website.  That's what sun decided people have to
do to get their product, so there's nothing we can do about it.

lynx should have worked though, I'd double-check you didn't overlook
the download link.  Or, try another browser like w3m, which is what I
always use to download it.

Kris